- 4 chicken leg portions, cut into thighs and drumsticks, skin removed
- 2 onions, 1 chopped, 1 cut into wedges
- 1 red and 1 green pepper, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200ml bottled barbecue sauce
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 250g long grain rice, rinsed
- 600ml chicken stock
- 340g can sweetcorn, rinsed and drained
- ½ red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Slash each piece of chicken 2-3 times. Put the chicken, onion wedges and peppers in a roasting tin or ovenproof pan, then toss with 1 tbsp oil and the barbecue sauce. Roast for 40 mins, turning halfway, until sticky and tender. Add a splash of water if the sauce dries up a little at the edges.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a medium pan, then soften the chopped onion for 5 mins. Stir in the thyme, rice, stock and seasoning. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 12 mins. Turn off the heat, tip in the corn, add chilli if using, put the lid back on and let the rice steam for 10 mins more. Fluff up the rice, then serve with the chicken, vegetables and pan juices.