- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 ancho or other large dried chilli, deseeded and softened in boiling water for about 10 mins
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 400g can plum tomatoes
- 1½ l chicken stock
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced
- juice 2 limes
- tortilla chips or homemade tortilla strips (see below), chopped avocado, lime wedges, red onion and coriander, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic, soften for 5 mins, then stir in the dried chilli, cumin, tomatoes and chicken stock. Blitz in a food processor in batches, or use a hand blender to purée until smooth.
- Return to the pan, then bring to the boil. Add the chicken, reduce the heat, then simmer for 10 mins until cooked through. Stir in the lime juice and some seasoning, then ladle into bowls. Put the toppings in the middle of the table for everyone to help themselves.