Spaghetti with fresh tomato sauce
- 200 g spaghetti or linguine
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- zest 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 300 g tomatoes, diced
- 125 g ball mozzarella or burrata (see tip, below), torn into pieces
- handful basil leaves, torn, to serve
- Cook the pasta following pack instructions. Meanwhile, put the chilli, shallots, oil, lemon zest, vinegar, sugar and tomatoes into a big mortar. If yours isn’t big enough, put it all in a bowl and just use the pestle in that. Add a good amount of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and bash everything together.
- Drain the pasta and toss together with the tomato mixture and mozzarella. Scatter over the basil and serve immediately.